Excerpt from What to Eat for How You Feel: The New Ayurvedic Kitchen (copyright Rizzoli)
Check out “Setting the Stage for Your Meals: It’s Not Just What You Eat, But How You Eat It”—this practice is always useful, no matter what your digestion is. The following tips are specific for slow (Earthy) digestion; they also support natural weight loss.
- Follow the recipes and recommendations in this chapter.
- Chew 1 teaspoon of After-Meal Spice Blend for Earthy Digestion (see Sidebar) after lunch and dinner.
- Eat three small meals at regular times (only when you’re hungry).
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Drink up to 1 cup of Energizing Buttermilk (page 215) at lunchtime.
- If your appetite is low, before a meal chew 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger sprinkled with tiny pinch of rock salt (not sea salt) and a splash of lime juice.
- Cook with small amounts of sesame oil, black sesame oil (as a finishing oil), cultured ghee, and olive oil; avoid coconut oil.
- Follow a mono diet (eating only one thing all day) once or twice a week with Detox Kulthi Khichari (page 67) and Cilantro Chutney (page 191).
After-Meal Spice Blend for Slow (Earthy) Digestion
This simple digestive spice mix comes in very handy when you experience Earthy digestion and have to eat out a lot. You can conveniently carry it with you and use after meals.
Fennel cools off excess digestive acids and ajwain sharpens the digestive fire, ensuring that your food is properly digested and absorbed. If you are on a low-estrogen diet, substitute coriander seeds for the fennel. This digestive aid is also an effective natural mouth freshener!
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
½ teaspoon ajwain seeds
In a small heavy skillet, dry-toast the spices together over low heat until they darken a few shades and release their aroma. Remove from the pan and let them cool down completely, then store in an airtight jar. Chew ½ teaspoon after lunch and dinner.
What Type of Digestion Do You Have?